Visit Alaska

running my own Iditarod

What is on your mind? This is the place to discuss other races and whatever non-Iditarod but still 'mushing' topics or topic of interested to race fans.

Moderator: Iditarod Staff

running my own Iditarod

Postby Wynterdog on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Just a quick story to pass the time while we're all waiting for the 24 hr to end and the action to begin....

I have one husky named Wynter who hasn't gotten a lot of attention the past 6 months because of a new baby in the house. I used to run her 5-6 times a week....and have been down to 2-3 if she's lucky. Of course she's gotten out of shape and isn't her usual fun and happy self. So in the spirit of the Iditarod I'm running her every day until the last musher reaches nome. We've been having a great time and its fun seeing her get stronger and faster so quickly every day. My facebook friends have been enjoying my Iditarod based summary of our adventures every day.

Wynter hopes you're all enjoying the face.....she is certainly enjoying hers!!!
Wynterdog

Re: running my own Iditarod

Postby Iditabug on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 pm

I love this story, Wynter is an IditaDog in every sense of the word! Babies are great, I've had a few myself; and I know this will sound, uh... strange?, but...kids grow up and go away, but your dog will be with you forever!
Iditabug

Postby snobound on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:27 pm

I celebrate The Iditarod at The Siberian Outpost in Malone, WI. Dogsledding the first two saturdays in March. Tomorrow will probably be the last run of the season, supposed to reach 50's next week. Jim runs a team of 16 with a freight sled for riding and a sprint sled with a team of 4 that you can mush yourself. One of the best things you can do in March!
snobound

Postby Wynterdog on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm in Marquette, MI...the the Upper Peninsula. Where is Malone in WI?
Wynterdog

Postby Oscar on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Awww. Nice story. Yeah, life gets in the way sometimes. Glad Wynter is responding so well. Dogs are utterly amazing aren’t they? Congratulations on the baby! Guess you all have found some equilibrium. Mush on and thank you for sharing!
Oscar

Postby snobound on Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Malone is northeast of Fond du Lac, not far from the south end of Lake Winnebago.
snobound

Return to Off Topic