Visit Alaska

How Many Teachers Have Given an Iditarod Related Assignment

Take a break from grading papers! Chat with your fellow teachers and share ideas on applying Iditarod to the classroom.

Moderator: ITC Ed Dept

How Many Teachers Have Given an Iditarod Related Assignment

Postby Huskyluver on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm no teacher, but I wanna know how many teachers have given an assignment related to the Iditarod.

Yes, I did
or
No, I didn't

3 teachers have given an Iditarod related assignment

0 teachers have not given an Iditarod related assignment

Plz just post yes or no
Last edited by Huskyluver on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. Image
Huskyluver

Re: How Many Teachers Have Given an Iditarod Related Assignment

Postby NE teach on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Huskyluver wrote:I'm no teacher, but I wanna know how many teachers have given an assignment related to the Iditarod.

Yes, I did
or
No, I didn't

0 teachers have given an Iditarod related assignment

0 teachers have not given an Iditarod related assignment

Plz just post yes or no

Yes I did! :)
NE teach
NE teach

Postby Iditabug on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Yes, I did.... but this is probably not a good way to gauge what's going on, most of us are so involved with our kids and the race, that it looks like this strand does not get much visitation, at least compared to the others. The Iditarod is alive and well in classes throughout the country!
Iditabug

Postby saltybird on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:35 pm

yes

Many may not due to state mandated testing schedules
saltybird

Postby irismedia on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:24 pm

I did as a librarian (middle school). I do the Idita-READ in conjunction with the Iditarod. It is a voluntary act to try and read 1000 pages as a team (1-3 people) in the month of March. I also challenge my staff to read also.

I have book prizes for all members of the teams that pass 900 pages (miles).

I also have a separate candy bar prize for any team that reads 1000 BEFORE the Iditarod is over. So far, 4 staff teams (and 1 board member team), and 2 student teams have made this goal. I am expecting 5 more student teams to make it on Monday.

We trace the Iditarod with the 3 lead mushers, the Oregon musher, and a rookie musher (usually the youngest).
A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them. ~Lemony Snicket
irismedia

Postby mushluv on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Yes, I did!I have been covering the Iditarod for the past 8 or more years with my third graders. Each student tracks one veteran and one rookie musher as we complete checkpoint mileage calulations, differences in time, etc. We also include science, social studies (an Alaska vs Indiana study), reading and grammar. I am interested in knowing where I can find out more information about the Idita-READ program.
mushluv

Postby MackeyFaninNC on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:30 pm

My 5th grade AG Students study reading and math assignments in a tic tac toe format for choice after a unit of study. They do mapping activities, read books, make travel brochures, do word problems, write letters, mean, median, mode, range of checkpoints, they create recipe books, study the culture... They also track a musher after they have studied them. They watch the weather channel version of The Serum Run, learn about Balto, Togo, Leonard Seppala, Gunnar Kassan. They study the History. We have a blast.
MackeyFaninNC

Postby theteacherzen on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Not only "A" assignment, but an entire, month long,thematic study geared around every
core subject (science, sstudies, math, reading, geography, technology, mapping....) and all in 4th grade.
The only reason I am one of the few commenting- is because I happen to have a student teacher for a bit, so I actually have a minute of time to get on the site, while thousands of other teachers who use the Iditarod as a teaching tool also- are too busy to comment.
In just my elem. Michigan school alone- there are several of who bring the Iditarod into our teaching. As a matter of fact, tomorrow- we have 2 mushers from MI coming in with all their gear and a couple of dogs. The students are beyond excited.
The word is spreading quickly..... the Iditarod is an exceptional teaching oportunity. Even after 19 years of teaching- the last 10 years that I have taught to the Iditarod in March- bring a renewed love of teaching, as even I can't wait to take my boxes of supplies and displays down from the shelves- and get ready to run the race in my own way. GO Lance! GO Martin! Go Dee Dee! GO Ramey!
theteacherzen

Postby suemoore on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I teach beginning ESL students in Houston. This is the second year we've followed the Iditarod. Each student tracks a musher and completes a variety of Iditarod activities. At the same time, we also read the novel Stone Fox. Many of these kids have never seen snow nor been anywhere in the US other than Texas. Following the race sparks their curiousity and helps them use their developing language skills in so many areas. All of my students from last year said that it was one of their favorite activities. I know it's one of mine!
suemoore

Postby hdsander on Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:09 am

Yes.
I am a middle school reading coach and a curriculum writer. Even though we are in the throes of FCAT testing here in Florida, our school has faithfully followed the race for the past three years. Each teacher is assigned a musher to track, research, and root for. The students read passages about the race and answer state standards based questions about what they read. We also address multiple intelligences by allowing students their choice for the completion of an Iditarod Project. They get to choose from 28 different projects that range from the verbal, kinesthetic, spatial, musical, naturalist, and mathematical. The projects are graded on a rubric. Students enjoy selecting how they want to demonstrate their knowledge of this exciting topic. Teachers in 7th grade Geography make super sized maps of Alaska with the route (similar to another teacher's post) however, the students are responsible for their creation, as well as adding legends, geographical features, and points of interest.

By far the most inspiring teacher story is that of Trent Herbst, musher #20 this year. He is a fourth grade teacher from Idaho. His students helped him build his sled out of broken hockey sticks. His students packed his drop bags. It is their hard work that makes Trent's race so special for his students! He is the ultimate "Teacher on the Trail!"
hdsander

Next

Return to Iditarod for Educators